Interview with a Translator

While I (Tabitha) was in Cameroon, I had the true privilege of meeting the team of Oroko translators. Along with World Team missionaries, they recently completed the translation of the New Testament and the book of Genesis. One of them, Pastor Elias Bea, has agreed to answer a few questions for our blog.

Thank you for agreeing to this interview, Pastor Bea. Please tell us a little bit about yourself -- how you came to know Christ and how you became a pastor.
My name is Elias Bea. I am an Oroko, from Big Bekondo in the Mbonge subdivision of the southwest region of Cameroon. I am married to Emilia and we have 5 children. I am a pastor with the Apostolic Church Cameroon (TACC), pastoring in Kumba.

I was a rascal, smoking Indian hemp as young boy in primary school without the knowledge of my parents. I was a member of a very young group of thieves, and I was involved in skirmishes. I took the First School Leaving Certificate Exams two times and failed. After that, I decided to go back to the village, and my parents were not happy about it at all. However, I actually started my primary education in my village, Big Bekondo. One day I asked myself about the habits of smoking, going out with girls, and playing football very well. Nobody smokes among my relatives; am I the one to lay this foundation? Once, in 1996, I went to church, and when I returned home I wrote in my diary that,"l Bea Elias, started fellowshiping with TACC, and l promise never to backslide again." Then l signed, and so it has been since then.

How did you get involved with the Oroko translation project?
Some missionaries came to Big Bekondo while I was at TACC Bible College (2006-2009). These missionaries organized inter-church football games and taught children’s Sunday School; later on, ecumenical programs were organized. I was very active in all of these. A form was given to those who were interested [in translation]. I got the information from a friend, and I was given the last form. I filled out the  form and I took the competitive examination and was declared successful. That's how I became a translator! Later, we attended [training] courses during translation.

How has the Oroko Bible translation affected your church?
Unfortunately, I am not pastoring in the Orokoland community. However, the project has helped me explain certain texts in the Bible. When I'm in the village, I preach in the dialect. It was not like that before. Translation has given me a push to discover the Bible in my mother tongue.

What have been some of the joys of being on the project?
My joy is that I am privileged to be one of the translators. I always remember the good  moments when we used to share our past and our ideas. We were always happy to see each  other. Also, God has used me to leave a legacy for life.

What have been some of the challenges?
There is no project without challenges. People outside of the translation [project] will never  learn how to read until it goes into the schools for people to be taught. Also, there is no permanent translation office. It will take a long time because translators are not permanent.

The work is not finished -- all of the Old Testament except for Genesis has not been translated. When do you expect the rest of the Scriptures to be finished?
Yes, good question. God, who planned the translation of the New Testament, will do it.

What do you have to say to those outside of Cameroon who want to work in Bible translation or missions in general?
They should pray well for God to help them choose God-fearing people who are dynamic. The Holy Spirit should be at work so that there is no addition or subtraction of God's original  Word.

Thank you very much for the recognition. If any you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Have a wonderful time and stay blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How the Lord is Working

Learn and Rejoice: God, The Hupla Bible, and Missions